Madeleine Kearney, Associate Director Ash St., to chair the Legalwise Seminar.
Food Law: New rules, new strategies.
Thursday 24 November 2016 09:00-13:15
Primus Hotel Mezzanine, 339 Pitt Street, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
Start with a multibillion dollar industry. Add in new rules, requirements and standards. Mix it together with labelling, advertising, IP and safety risks. You’re left with a changing area where you need to invest a morning into keeping up with the latest developments and trends.
Chair: Madeleine Kearney, Associate Director Ash St.
Madeleine Kearney is a highly regarded commercial litigator and product risk specialist, with a particular interest in food, pharmaceutical and general consumer products regulation. She has substantial experience advising and representing both domestic and international clients in relation to advertising and labelling, product safety/liability, product recalls and product regulatory law. Madeleine appears in the 2010 edition of Legal Media Group’s Guide to the World’s Leading Product Liability Lawyers and the 2012 and 2014 editions of the Guide to the World’s Leading Litigation and Product Liability Lawyers. Madeleine regularly advises in relation to all aspects of product advertising and labelling issues, including: misleading conduct under sections 18 and 29 of the Australian Consumer Law; Industry Codes impacting upon advertising including those administered by the ASB; labelling requirements of mandatory product information and safety standards; trade measurement legislation; and product specific legislation including the Food Standards Code.
Hear From the Regulator: Managing Food Safety Risks Through Product Recall or Withdrawal
- Common food safety risks
- Strategies to manage food safety risks
- Food Standards Code requirements: recall process management
- Tips on conducting a food recall
Presented by Alan Edwards, Senior Food Incident Response & Complaints Co-ordinator, NSW Food Authority.
Country of Origin: Fact, Fiction and the New Requirements
- Bar charts, logos and non-priority foods
- Examining the new requirements: ‘Product of’ ‘Made in’ and ‘Grown In’ Australia
- Transition and implementation
- Exploring the ACCC guidance
- Understanding information acquisition and record keeping
Presented by Chris Preston, Director, Legal and Regulatory, Australian Food and Grocery Council.
Intellectual Property and the Food Industry
A practical analysis of trade marks, patents, designs, trade secrets, copyright and domain names as they apply to the food industry.
- Exploring cases of interest
- Tips on brainstorming a brand
- Strategies to protect and monetise IP
- The value of an IP audit and how to design one
Presented by Spiro Pappas, Director, Craft Legal.
Advertising and Labelling Compliance Requirements in the Sale of Food
- Insights into the food labelling requirements in the Food Standards Code Part 1.2
- Navigating the new Nutrition and Health Claims Standard
- The Australian Consumer Law on misleading and deceptive conduct with respect to credence claims
Presented by Janine Curll, Food Labelling and Regulatory Affairs Specialist/Director, Food Labelling Matters.
Register for this event on the Legalwise Seminars website here.